1. Better communication - When you are hundreds of miles apart from your partner, your relationship depends on good communication. You will suddenly value all communication with your boy/girlfriend so much more too.
2. Independence! - Now I'm not saying that by living with/near your partner doesn't mean you can't have any independence, but there is definitely the chance to have more in a LDR. In fact, do! Being busy also helps when you're missing them lots.
3. Time spent together is valued - As you don't get to see your partner as much, all the time you spend with them is more meaningful. You also always have something to look forward to - seeing them!
4. Build up trust - When you're apart, trust is so much more important. You might not ever know if your partner went home with that hottie from the club last night, so trust really can be the make or break of LDRs. So if things go well then trust can be built up so much more!
5. Travel opportunities! - When you're both living in separate places (or countries even!) Then travelling is going to become a key part of your relationship, but this is a good thing! It means you can 'meet halfway' and explore a new place together, or go to each others towns and do those touristy things you secretly wanted to do.
6. Shopping becomes fun?! - Well maybe your boyfriend (or girlfriend, I'm not judging!) still might not enjoy food shopping, but spending time together doing almost anything becomes more enjoyable than doing it on your own. So when you're with your partner, even the most routine, boring things can become so much more fun.
8. Treasured texts - Yes, texts really are treasured. So are phone calls, gifts and skyping. You will get excited when their name pops up on your phone. Aww...
9. Survival of the fittest - Well maybe not quite that extreme. But if your relationships holds out long distance, then you know its something special! Being away from your partner can be make or break for some couples, and if you're still just as in love with them as you were then good for you!
10. Effort is vital - The best (or worst, depending on how you're looking at this) thing about LDRs is that they force you to put the effort in. They force you to stay in touch, or otherwise your relationship would just break down. They force you to organise meeting up, or otherwise you just wouldn't see them...
'Distance makes the heart grow stronger'
I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3.5 years and in that time, we've been as close as 30 mins and as far as 4 hours apart. I just wanted to write this post for anyone who's having a 'down day' and really missing their partners, to show you that it's not a bad thing! Your relationship is perhaps stronger than many. Long distance relationships definitely can work and in fact, reports have even shown that 75% of all engaged couples have been long distance at some point (source).